Monday, July 21, 2008

To give - gave - given

The last day for the drums was in fact a last night.
Yohan had to do 2/3 songs in a day. At 11 pm, 3 songs were recorded. I personly thought we deserved to go to bed. Especially Yohan, cause he just hurt his finger really really bad. There was blood everywhere on his snare drum head and on his short. We're used to that on our gigs, but like that... But Ross wanted him to continue to play. "The fire" was "on the room", as he said. He didn't know how deep Yohan cut himself but the record had to be finished this night. He felt it. Ross said : "Guys, let's play another song. Now." Yohan went directly in the studio : "Allez !". He was on fire, indeed ! I just wanted to sleep and I had to scream for 2 more songs ! It was quite funny !

The fact is Ross was absolutely right to tell us to finish the record this night. Yohan played with something else than his own arms, his own hands, his own body. He was moved. Moved by the lyrics. By Ross. By the inner discussions we have, telling each other how intense was the experience we were living together, and between us as brothers.
As a symbol, the last 2 songs were "Die For Me" and "My Girl". I think I never lived "Die For Me" more truely than this night. I never lied less. So did Yohan. So did we all.

Ross said we reached a "much much higher and awesome level of emotionnal power", discencumbered from our fake gimmicks, our technical obsessions, our physical limits, and our musician habits. I hope he's right. If I played in MANOWER, I would say "I know he's right". lol

But we were just happy to live our songs with the greatest happiness and peace of mind we've maybe never ever known playing music. Happy to give it. To everybody. To ourselves. To the living ones and to "the faithful departed". We gave it. Now this music isn't ours anymore.

No comments: